How secure is the water system? Is this a question asked to you almost every day? This is because the water system is critical infrastructure to every community. As this is the primary requirement of people, it is important that it is secured all the time may it be in its infrastructure side or its software side. There are many ways that you can keep it secure and this infographic provide alternative means to do it efficiently.
1. CSET or Cyber Security Evaluation Tool is provided by the Department of Homeland Security. It can help you in assessing the weaknesses of an infrastructure. Water systems are considered critical infrastructure because of its functions to society. Hence, it is imperative that it is always secured against possible interruptions and destruction.
2. Security system information can be accessed online or offline. The online aspect focuses on the information that is stored in many cloud or storage internet platforms. Destructing its system can be done online that is why some personnel would often focus on internet security without knowing that physical security can also be jeopardized. Hence, you must not just ignore the physical aspect of the water system.
3. Water systems are considered the critical infrastructure that is why information stored in the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) is accessible to them. It was a decision from the Department of Homeland Security. Why conducting background checks are necessary? You can only trust a person or employees if you know their background and their tendency to commit an act. So, take advantage of this opportunity. Background checks are helpful in hiring the right employees for the security of the water system.
4. Employees are the end-users of a system. If they do not know how to use it, the security system would not be used at its maximum level. Training employees are necessary. Even if the management level knew and has been trained so well about the security protocols, it would be in vain if the end-users do not have proper training in using the system.
5. Create and organize network traffic. Communication channels should be efficient because it will serve as a way to connect with other stakeholders such as businesses, customers and other agencies. There could be many platforms to use for an effective network. It could be social media, applications, emails or websites.
6. No one should let the water system be infiltrated, threatened or accessed by people who would just destroy the system so that the people will suffer. If you are the general manager or employee of any water system in the world, you have to maximize all possible resources to ensure that it will not be used as a tool to cause panic and chaos in your community. The government has provided several ways on how you can check the background of your employees, guests, visitors, and even consumers. So, you must make use of it. More so, when you see that an irregularity seems to be existing, you have to report it upfront.
Download this infographic.