To ensure the safety and security of the citizens is one of the most primary concerns of any government. However, it does not lie upon one sector only. The Department of Homeland Security is composed of sixteen sectors which have their own systems, networks, assets, and infrastructures that are crucial in ensuring the national security of the United States of America. An attack, inefficiency or destruction in any of these sectors can cause a drastic impact on the security features of the country. These sectors are listed in detail in this infographic.
1. You could probably watch it in movies wherein chemicals are being used to jeopardize the safety of the people. The chemical sector is responsible for the proper production, use, and transport of these chemicals to avoid putting the lives of the people into danger.
2. Criminals often choose public places such as malls, train or bus stations, subways and other government infrastructures. But, the casualties are minimized because of the efforts of the Commercial Facilities Sector. They ensure that you can use public utilities as safe as possible.
3. In the 21st century where communications become a vital and integral part of keeping a country safe, the communications sector is established. Its primary function focuses on the providing communication services such as satellites and transmission systems.
4. Another sector that is critical to the country is the dams sector. It is essential in providing water systems, irrigation systems and hydropower generation that keeps the country’s croplands flourish with produces that is essential for survival.
5. With the recent news about terrorism, all countries in the world are vulnerable to attacks that endanger the lives of the citizen. A country must have its military system or Defense Industrial Base Sector which is responsible for the research, development, production, and maintenance of military weapons. The proper and official uses of these weapons are also part of this sector’s responsibility.
6. There are states in the country that are prone to calamities such as typhoons, hurricanes, and earthquakes. The Emergency Services Sector provides immediate relief to the victims of these calamities. Aside from that, they provide prevention techniques, preparedness, and recovery services.
7. In this fast pacing world, energy is as essential as food because without energy all other infrastructure will not work. The Energy Sector stabilizes the supply of fuels even though supply mostly came from the private sector.
8. The Financial Services Sector and Food and Agriculture Sector work together to keep the nation’s economy productive. In addition to this, the Healthcare and Public Sector directly serve the people by protecting the people from hazards, terrorism, diseases, and calamities.
9. The Information Technology Sector, Nuclear Reactors, Waste Materials, and Waste Sector, Transportation Systems Service Sector and Water and Wastewater Systems Sector have different functions to protect the people from natural and man-made problems that can cause life and property destructions.
10. Lastly, as people of the country, it is also the citizens’ jobs to follow the laws, rules, and regulations promulgated by these sectors.
Download this infographic.