There has been news about countries or regions suffering from too much flooding. Because of our changing climate, floods are constantly being monitored by the authorities. When there are indications that flood may come in, they broadcast it and help the citizens prepare so that casualties will be avoided. However, there are some people who simply reject these warnings and just run in panic when the flood water is already entering their house. A responsible citizen will take care of himself and his family by hearing the flood news and make necessary preparations. This infographic will highlight the actions that you need to take while the flood is already occurring.
1. Turn on your TV, radio, and even your social media accounts for news about the flood condition. Constantly, listen to status reports from the broadcasters so that whenever the flood gets worse, you can easily find a way to evacuate. Remember, when the flood water is high enough, swimming through it is not an option. As always, better be safe than sorry.
2. Precautions could have been done when the flood has not hit the moderate category. However, whether it’s minor, moderate or heavy, floodwater will always be dangerous because of the bacteria it carries. Hence, it is recommended that you don’t walk, drive, or ride through the water. If the situation demands that you must soak yourself in the flood water, wear protective clothing such as boots and gloves. When the flood subsides, you don’t want to be left with an illness.
3. There are regions that are connected only to the mainland because of a bridge. When the current of the flood is too much, it may disconnect your area and keep you isolated. You should prepare your medicine, supplies, food and drinking water. Also, you need to check on the appliances or livestock that you have at home. If you can see that the water level keeps increasing, move it to a higher ground as early as possible.
4. For areas that always experience heavy flooding, they should get ready even before the flood water flows in. If the region is very low, it is better if you just evacuate while you have the time. You won’t be able to do it when the flood is already more than five feet.
5. To avoid sewerage backflow, you must block the toilet, drains and sinks. Also, expect that there will be no electricity, especially on heavy flood conditions. So, you must charge your cell phones and flashlights before the power cuts off. Sometimes, the neighbourhood asks everyone to cut off the power because it might cause electrocution among the people who need to walk through the flood water.
6. There are cases when evacuation is necessary. What should you bring and prepare when you evacuate? Medicines, important documents, pictures or souvenirs and of course money. Some documents can’t be simply retrieved from offices while pictures can’t be replicated. But, not because the government is providing relief goods, you will solely depend on it. Before you go, make sure that gas and electricity is turned off.
Download this infographic.